Lordship at Risk: Delay in Sinkhole Repair is Unacceptable
July 22, 2025

STRATFORD, CT — State Senator Jason Perillo (R-Shelton) today voiced deep concern over the Connecticut Department of Transportation’s (CTDOT) delayed response to the hazardous sinkhole on Lordship Boulevard in Stratford’s Lordship neighborhood.
Discovered in early June, the sinkhole led CTDOT to close Lordship Boulevard in both directions, leaving residents with only a single access route in and out of the community. This presents a serious hazard; if severe weather or another emergency forces that route to close, residents could become completely isolated.
“My key point of concern here is the prolonged timeline DOT has given us. We cannot leave our residents at risk any longer. This is a serious safety hazard that needs to be remedied immediately. Our residents deserve reliable access to hospitals, schools, and essential services. If a major storm causes a road closure or further collapse, our neighborhood could be completely severed from the rest of town,” said Sen. Perillo.
CTDOT has confirmed that the sinkhole was caused by aging drainage infrastructure and tidal conditions, which led to joint separation in underground culvert pipes. A repair plan is in place, and some preliminary work has begun: the asphalt was removed, a gas line was shut off, a crane was brought in, and materials are on the way. However, the timeline CTDOT has provided projects that full completion won’t happen until November 2025, or later.
Perillo’s correspondence with CTDOT Commissioner Garrett Eucalitto stated, “I remain concerned about a lack of emergency access to the residents of Lordship if travel along Stratford Road (Rt 113) is blocked. It is the only remaining access road to Lordship now that Lordship Boulevard is closed. I am asking you to re-evaluate your projected timeline and to provide all resources needed to reopen Lordship Boulevard sooner. This is a significant public health and safety risk.”
Sen. Perillo pointed out that CTDOT has previously acted swiftly when emergencies arose, citing prompt repairs to the Commodore Hull Bridge just a few months ago.
“We need that same urgency here. Leaving Lordship on the brink of an emergency is unacceptable. This community deserves better.”
Sen. Perillo said he will continue to call on CTDOT to expedite repairs and ensure residents are kept informed.
“As elected officials, our first duty is to protect our constituents,” Sen. Perillo said. “We won’t accept second‑class treatment for Lordship. We need action now.”